Wheel of Fortune

September 10, 2007

Last Day

Three-Mile

As I contemplated organizing and packing my gear for the last time, I wondered whether I would take the protected route through Rock Harbor to the marina, or cross and take one last open run on the Superior side of the islands. I found myself peculiarly cautious. The clouds were dark, but the sea was glass flat. Although my mind said that the exposed paddle would be safe enough, I had spun the wheel of fortune a hundred times and watched it land on my number. I was deeply reluctant to tempt the fates with one more spin.

The basis for my uneasy premonition was clear when I arrived at the marina. Forecasters were predicting the first fall storm, with seas building to 20 feet over the next 24 hours. Voyager II passengers booked for the following day were brought in from their last night’s camp and placed on the boat returning to Grand Portage that afternoon. Every small craft on the entire Lake was headed for protected berth. I was headed home.

No comments: