Deep Stillness


September 8, 2007

Day Twenty

Three-Mile

There was a deep stillness on the island; barely a ripple on the water and the merest whisper of breeze to rustle the aspen. I had seen the first honking lines of black dots sweeping north to south across the sky; geese heading south on a north wind. My friend Jim, last of the warm and brief friendships that have graced this trip, left on the Ranger III this morning.

My body was tired. The seven mile paddle from the Tobin Harbor seaplane dock around Stoville Point to Three-Mile seemed long. I had eaten twice as much as on any other day and taken a nap.

The shelter mouse I saw a week ago paid a visit. She knew the score when it comes to missed cracker crumbs, bits of cheese and summer sausage fat remaining on these rocks from lunch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I only have an e-mail if you want to contact me. It is cbhinariz@aol.com. I am 59 and have wanted to circumnavigate Isle Royalefor some years now. My wife won't go. I can't even find a partner to paddle the Channel Islands west of Oxnard california. Like you, I may have to go alone. I have done quite a few solo trips and enjoy the time alone. Write me back at my e-mail address if you like. Thanks Chuck Hall Phoenix, Az.