Island Fairy Godmothers


Ranger Karena: you floated my boat twice over. I might not have done an early evening rounding of Blake Point without your encouragement. It was the best paddle of the 21 days.

Captain Mike of the Voyager II: thank you for delivering my precious packages and for sharing weather reports and weather concerns. Good luck with October!

Don Watson, professional trip guide, thank you for gently-given advice. I took your admonition to protect my rudder to heart and lifted it at the barest suggestion of shallow rock. You’d be proud of me.

Norm, Mark, and son, thanks for conversation, for a shared sunset from Carribou Island dock and Greenland paddle inspiration.

John, I loved our quiet evening conversation on the rocks above Chippewa Harbor and particularly your understanding and sharing of the solo traveler’s desire for silence.

Ginny Danfelt of Hovland, MN, thanks for posting my letters, even providing the stamps, and for the phone call with news of my trip to Lisa.

Malone Bay Ranger Clif, thanks for an early morning weather report and solicitous care squarely in the tradition of retired Michigan State Troopers.

Joseph, I am grateful to have seen how far a man can go, starting from the Ysleta barrio. Thank you for Spanish, for honesty. The bell rings only when things get interesting.

Larry and Dick: for one of the most interesting conversations regarding racism on the island. I’ve no doubt that you meet interesting people wherever you go!

Tracy and Derik: blessings for your good hearts and your strong legs. Thanks for conversation and wild apples.

Nile and Patti, for your love of each other and for our shared love of the island.

Jonathon and Bart, you were gentlemen and never once mentioned paddling around a point and out of the fog to find me wearing only my shirt and spray skirt.

Jim, thanks for perfect silence at the Duncan Narrows, for the freshest fish fillet I’ve ever eaten, for taking an end of my boat on the Duncan Bay Portage, and especially for your love, your care, and the rollicking conversation as we trudged back and forth with boats and gear. Thanks, also, for having more stuff than me!

4 comments:

Geneva White said...

Dear Mom,

I've just read your whole blog from start to finish and this if my favorite part. I liked it all but, as I say, this is my favorite. Maybe it's the pictures, which fit so nicely, or maybe it's just the part of the story I haven't hear but I love this. I can't wait for you to put up the old pictures and stories from when I was a baby--the substance of those won't be fresh to me but I can't wait to hear them in your voice.

Juniper Lauren said...

Geneva:

You are my inspiration in so many things. Thank you for this comment.

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Lauren,
I have been going non-stop since we were on the island over 2 months ago already! I have just brought the last of my vegetables in before it drops down to 28 degrees this evening- though this is the latest I can think of up in Minnesota for a long time! Derek and I are preparing for a number of great Swiss Chard meals and getting ready to make hot sauce...that is all that was left that hadn't already died from the cold weather. I thought of you and your "winter garden"....mine involves bringing the pond plants inside and growing herbs in the kitchen. Hey- I have made those wonderful corn tortillas that you so kindly shared with us at Three Mile! Boy are they wonderful...
I love all the fabulous work that you have put into this blog. We haven't even renamed all of our photos and gotten them on our website yet...busy lives with kids...
I want you to know that you have a place to stay if you decide to come up for the convention...our house is but a couple miles away!
Take care- I'm glad that you are home safe and I hope to hear from you!!

Anonymous said...

I am reading this article second time today, you have to be more careful with content leakers. If I will fount it again I will send you a link